Tuesday, January 1, 2013

And with a flair for dramatics, I say...

Okay, so I'm a little late with this, but...

*deep breath*

I'm finished!  (With Draft 4, that is.)

Once I finally came down from my Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas-induced sugar rush today, I actually sat down and tweaked the last few things that I wanted to tweak, and now I think I can stamp draft four of SEVENTEEN with a big fat "Gotcha."

Now, I know I said I was going to have it finished by Christmas, but then life happened, and work happened, and the in-laws and out-laws and various other friends and family members happened, and well, here we are.  New Year's Day 2013.  I gotta say, it feels good.  I know it'll probably go back under the red pen at some point, but at least for right now - for the last twenty-eight minutes remaining of January 1, I can sigh with relief.

Now...

*another deep breath*

It's time to query.  Daunting to say the least, but exciting at the same time.  Last year, when I finished the first draft, I threw out approximately 20 queries (okay, maybe 30... cringe) all at the same time out of some sort of writing-induced, egotistical mania, and of course, none of them bit (mainly because the book was... well, garbage).  I feel in my bones that it is much better, and even just rereading through it tonight, I was impressed with how far it has come.  I'm excited.

So anyways, here's how a dream version of 2013 would go (in no particular order):

1 - book picked up by agent and publisher (Shoot for the stars, my dear.)
2 - family started aka pregnancy later in the summer (Nervous much?  Yes, why yes I am.)
3 - 5k completed (I had to throw that one in there for some motivation after stuffing myself with enough candy to fill the Willy Wonka factory over Christmas.)
4 - full-time job acquired (preferably teaching or writing)
5 - refinishing my bedroom furniture (gotta get it all in the list, you know?)
6 - a nice vacation with my sweet, bearded husband (whose beard resembles that of a dwarf from LOTR, by the way)
7 - learning to do laundry before I end up having to wash two months' worth of clothes in one shot.  (Disgusting, I know.  I HATE laundry.)

Seven things... I can handle seven things.  Not - take notice - resolutions, but things.  It's less intimidating that way.  Granted, most of them are HUGE things, but with the grace and guidance of God and with the support of my best friend and husband, I've got this.

Happy New Year to you, and may God bless you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment